In seven project regions in Germany, we aim to create stable regional structures for dialogue and the development of sustainable insect conservation. In each region, we are implementing Biodiversity Action Plans (BAPs) involving different crops and types of crops, with a particular focus on insect conservation. In doing so, we aim to improve both the quality and quantity of insect conservation (habitats and food supply for insects) and reduce the negative impact of pesticides and fertilisers.
- 10 Frontrunner farms in each region are already implementing proven and innovative measures. Implementation and impacts will be documented for the development of incentives for farmers who manage in a biodiversity-responsible manner. Additional farms (at least 50 in each region) are implementing Biodiversity Action Plans on their farms.
- Biodiversity monitoring in Insect-Responsible Sourcing Regions: Adapt our Biodiversity Monitoring System by integrating metrics and indicators on insects and landscape quality. Assessing other positive impacts, e.g. climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Disseminate the IRSR concept and support the establishment of Insect-Responsible Sourcing Regions. Identify or create new (financial) incentives through public programs e.g. Agri-Environmental Programs and through the food industry.
- Dissemination of measures identified as particularly successful at regional, national and EU level.
- Practical information on insect conservation measures for different crops / farm types in different geographical situations (effective measures and how best to implement them).
- Strengthening insect literacy of farmers, cooperatives/cooperatives, agricultural advisors, food standards and companies: Training modules and training materials. Implement training for extension agents and of farmers.
- Selection of an existing Citizens Science tool and adaptation to monitoring in LIFE IRSR. Motivation of citizens and stakeholders to participate in monitoring. Training and participation of about 350 people in the 7 Insect-Responsible Sourcing Regions.
- Creation of incentives and market demand, sensitization of consumers.
- Develop a draft EU agri-environmental program for Insect-Responsible Sourcing Regions to provide incentives to farmers; prepare for implementation.
- Provide sound information and recommendations to policy makers to create national and regional programs and actions to strengthen and promote insect conservation.
- Food sector incentives for farmers, taking into account the added value of the products of the insect-promoting region and a fair share of the additional costs.
- Marketing concept for successful positioning of products produced in an insect-friendly way.
- Increasing the demand for food produced in an insect-friendly way by implementing a communication strategy addressed to the end customer (= value of insects and biodiversity for the quality of life and the future of our planet).